Deep in the Delta (Downstream)
Chau Doc - Cai Be
• Authentic scenes of the Mekong Delta
• Visit the house from the acclaimed novel “The Lover”
• Cruise past monkey bridges and narrow canals
• Discover local handicrafts
• Dine in a local house on Tiger Island
CHAU DOC – LONG XUYEN
- Your crew welcomes you at the Victoria Chau Doc Hotel jetty at 10:00 am with cold towels and a refreshing drink as your Song Xanh private sampan sets off for its leisurely cruise on the waterways around Chau Doc towards Long Xuyen, traveling along a narrow canal past monkey bridges and peaceful villages.
- Lunch is served on board before arriving in Long Xuyen.
- Visit Tiger Island (Cu Lao Ong Ho), a small island that was once the home of Vietnam’s second president - Ton Duc Thang.
- Take a stroll around the park surrounding the museum and cycle around the island for a better look.
- Your last stopover before sunset is at a Vietnamese home to gain insight into how the locals live. The owner will welcome you and a candlelit dinner will be served.
- Enjoy your first night onboard the Song Xanh on the Hau River.
LONG XUYEN – SA DEC
- Breakfast is served on board at 7:00 am while your sampan cruises downstream.
- Arrive in Sa Dec in time for a stroll around this charming town. Visit one of the town’s highlights, the ancient house of Huynh Thuy Le, a real-life character in the celebrated novel and film “The Lover” by Marguerite Duras.
- The small town is well worth exploring as it played an important role in the development of the Mekong Delta.
- Large Chinese and Khmer communities were established here, while the French also left their mark on the local architecture.
- As a result, many religions are represented side by side: a Cao Dai temple, a Catholic church, a Chinese temple and Vietnamese pagodas.
- Lunch and dinner are served on board. Enjoy your second night aboard the Song Xanh on the Mekong River.
SA DEC – CAI BE
- We begin cruising at 6:00 am towards Cai Be. Observe life as it plays out onshore - people going about their daily activities against picturesque landscapes - while your crew serves breakfast onboard.
- Stop at various points along the way for a look into some of the cottage industries of the region: a brick factory and local food production like coconut candy and puffed rice (the local equivalent of popcorn), small home-based businesses that provide a living for the river people.
- Your cruise ends at Le Longanier Restaurant. Lunch is served in this exquisite colonial-style villa set in a lush tropical garden by the river, surrounded by fruit plantations, a glimpse into the Indochina of yesteryear.
*Notes: Actual itinerary may vary depending upon river tide, arrival time or other conditions.
• One-way transfer from Cai Be to Saigon
• Private 3-day cruise overnighting aboard Song Xanh
• 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches and 1 dinner served on board
• 1 lunch at Le Longanier Restaurant
• 1 candlelit dinner including a bottle of wine for 2 persons
at a local house
• Sightseeing fees included in above itinerary
• English-speaking tour guide
• Bicycles and “xuong” rowboat rides
• Crew assistance
• Cold towels, seasonal fruits and hot tea
• Individual travel insurance
• Personal expenses
• Beverages not specified in above program
• Tips for crew and tour guide
• Any expenses not clearly indicated in above program
• Road transportation (before of after cruise)
Request this journey
See more tours
Through The Lush Ben Tre Countryside
Just two hours from Ho Chi Minh City, the town of Ben Tre marks the northern tip of Vietnam's Mekong Delta. Explore this fascinating region on a one-day expedition traveling by sampan, rowboat, bicycle and tuk tuk. The packed itinerary includes cycling through picturesque villages, visiting local workshops, being rowed along palm-lined canals, and cruising the Ben Tre River, observing rustic riverside living at its most authentic.
Life On The River (Upstream)
Travel deeper into the Delta, from Cai Be, an easy drive from Ho Chi Minh City, to Can Tho, the largest city in the Mekong Delta. Much more scenic than a road trip, our overnight cruise aboard the intimate Song Xanh sampan along picturesque waterways allows for shore excursions to visit historic homes, atmospheric temples, and local cottage industries. Additional highlights include a candlelit dinner in a century-old home and cruising among the colourful barges and boats of the famed Cai Rang Floating Market.
A Taste of The Mekong
Explore the area around Cai Be in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta on a private day cruise with a gourmet lunch of Southern Vietnamese specialties. Cruise along the waterways of the Delta aboard the Cai Be Princess as well as a smaller row boat for close up views of the picturesque canals and mangroves with shore excursions to visit workshops using local products like coconut and rice, finishing with lunch in an Indochine-inspired plantation house
Cruising the Mekong Cai Rang Floating Market
Traditionally, boats were cheaper and safer than cars and motorbikes, giving rise to floating markets where local produce including fruits, vegetables, and rice were bought and sold. Enjoy an early morning cruise to the Cai Rang Floating Market, the largest in the Mekong Delta. Observe how boats advertise what’s for sale by hanging samples of their products on long poles, and learn why Mekong Delta boats have eyes painted on them. Enjoy bonus shore excursions on your way back to Can Tho.
Breakfast Cruise - Visit to the Floating
A throwback to times past when trading and transport on the river was common, the Cai Rang Floating Market is the largest in the Mekong Delta. Feast on a gorgeous breakfast spread as the ship cruises to this bustling wholesale market where fruits and vegetables from the Delta are sold from colourful barges. The floating market is a photographer’s dream for its wonderful combination of people, boats, motion, and colours. Enjoy bonus shore excursions on your way back to Can Tho.
Cruising The Mekong from Cai Rang to Phong Dien
Immerse yourself in the luscious scenery of the Mekong Delta from Cai Rang (Can Tho) to Phong Dien, exploring the region by boat and bicycle. Cruise the Cai Rang Floating Market, the largest in the Delta, and see the fascinating interaction between larger barges laden with fruit and vegetables and smaller boats which buy the products for re-sale or act as floating cantines. Exchange boat for bicycle for close-up views of life along the riverbanks, cycling past fruit orchards and emerald rice paddies.
Mekong Crossroads (Upstream)
Explore the beautiful countryside and serene riverscapes between Cai Be and Can Tho, the largest city in the Mekong Delta, on a private 3-day / 2-night cruise aboard the comfortable Song Xanh sampan. See the Delta up close, travelling by sampan, row boat, and bicycle. Visit local cottage industries, historic homes, and the famed Cai Rang Floating Market. Memorable meals include lunch in a colonial-era inspired plantation house and a candlelit dinner in a century-old home.
Experience the Simple Life on Tan Phong Islet
Travel along the waterways of the Delta aboard the Cai Be Princess as well as a smaller rowboat for close up views of the narrow, scenic canals. From this unique water-level vantage point, observe life on and by the water, with passing boats loaded down with rice and fruit, as well as gorgeous pastoral landscapes of rice fields. Enjoy a gourmet lunch of Southern Vietnamese specialties in an Indochine-inspired plantation house surrounded by fruit trees.
Life On The River (Downstream)
A wonderfully scenic alternative to road travel, cruise aboard the Song Xanh sampan on an overnight journey from Can Tho, the largest city in the Mekong Delta, to Cai Be, gateway to Ho Chi Minh City. Observe life lived on and by the water from the unique perspective of sampan and rowboat, with shore excursions to visit historic homes, colourful temples, and local cottage industries, ending with a beautifully-prepared lunch in a colonial-era inspired plantation home.
Mekong Crossroads (Downstream)
Explore the lush countryside and peaceful riverscapes between Can Tho, the largest city in the Mekong Delta, and Cai Be, on a private 3-day / 2-night cruise aboard the comfortable Song Xanh sampan. Experience the Delta up close with a row boat ride along picturesque canals and shore excursions to local cottage industries and historic homes. End your exploration with a truly memorable meal of Mekong Delta specialties at a colonial-era inspired plantation house surrounded by fruit trees.
Exploring The Delta
Vietnam’s Mekong Delta is a kaleidoscope of colours and cultures. See life in the Delta up close and learn about the unique history of the region with a half-day cruise from Vinh Long combined with fascinating shore excursions to visit markets, Chinese temples, Khmer villages, and a hidden jungle temple.
Deep in the Delta (Upstream)
Travel low and slow on a private 2-night cruise through the Mekong Delta, from Cai Be (gateway to Ho Chi Minh City) to Chau Doc on the Vietnam – Cambodia border. Experience the highlights of the Delta, including endless rice fields, tropical fruit gardens, and French-era architecture, by bicycle, walking tours, and cruise aboard the comfortable Song Xanh sampan. Memorable meals include lunch in a colonial-inspired plantation house and a candlelit dinner in a historic century-old home.
Through The Lush Countryside
Even though Can Tho is the largest city in the Mekong Delta, just minutes from the city centre you’ll find gorgeous fields of rice and fruit plantations. Explore the Can Tho countryside by boat and bicycle, cruising the waterways with stops to observe local workshops. Swap boat for bicycle and pedal past tranquil farmscapes taking in scenes of rustic village life.
Mekong Impressions (Upstream)
Explore the waterways of the Mekong Delta with a private day cruise from Cai Be to Vinh Long. Enjoy a leisurely cruise aboard the stylish Cai Be Princess, taking in traditional scenes of riverside living. Head ashore to visit a historic church, a century-old home, and workshops using local products like coconut and rice. After a gourmet lunch of Southern Vietnamese specialties in an Indochine-inspired plantation house, stroll through orchards of tropical fruit, a specialty of the Mekong Delta.
Mekong Impressions (Downstream)
Explore the waterways of the Mekong Delta with a private day cruise from Vinh Long to Cai Be. Cruise aboard the stylish Cai Be Princess, taking in traditional scenes of riverside living. Head ashore to visit riverine islands that are home to lush fruit orchards, a historic home, and workshops using local products like coconut and rice. End your excursion with a beautifully-presented lunch of Southern Vietnamese specialties in an Indochine-inspired plantation house, surrounded by fruit trees.
Explore the area around Cai Be in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta on a day cruise with a gourmet lunch of Southern Vietnamese specialties. Enjoy a leisurely cruise along the picturesque waterways of the Delta aboard the Cai Be Princess with insightful walking and cycling shore excursions to observe authentic countryside living, visiting a historic home and workshops working with local products like rice and coconuts. Enjoy an elegant lunch in an Indochine-inspired plantation house surrounded by fruit trees.ore
Dinner Cruise - Under the stars
Combine your two true loves of cuisine and travel on a scenic dinner cruise aboard the Mekong Princess. Enjoy a spectacularly memorable meal while taking in river views around Can Tho, observing fishermen prepare for late-night trawling as the city lights up at night.
Dining Aboard The Lady Hau
Once a traditional rice barge, the spacious Lady Hau now plies the waters around Can Tho. Join her on a weekend dinner cruise featuring a beautifully-presented Vietnamese buffet spread as she sails the Hau River, or opt for the cruise only, watching as the city lights sparkle along the river.
Through the Delta to the sea (Upstream)
Travel the width of Vietnam’s lush Mekong Delta on a private 2-night cruise from Cai Be to Rach Gia. Immerse yourself in the Delta’s endless rice fields, tropical fruit gardens, and rustic country living by bicycle, walking tour, and cruise aboard the comfortable Song Xanh sampan. Visit riverine islands, local workshops, and the charming town of Sadec with its Khmer and Chinese influences. Memorable meals include lunch in a colonial-inspired plantation house and a candlelit dinner in a historic century-old home.
Through the Delta to the sea (Downstream)
Gateway to the emerald isle of Phu Quoc and southern Cambodia, cruise from Rach Gia to Cai Be. Travel the Mekong Delta on a private 2-night cruise, immersing yourself in the endless rice fields, tropical fruit gardens, and rustic country living by bicycle, walking tour, and river cruise. Visit riverine islands, local workshops, and the charming town of Sadec with its Khmer and Chinese influences. Memorable meals include lunch in a colonial-inspired plantation house and a candlelit dinner in a historic century-old home.
Life in the Lush countryside
Away from the hustle and bustle of life on the Mekong’s main tributaries lies a world of pastoral harmony among the many tiny waterways that make up the Mekong Delta. Our Cai Be Princess and Song Xanh sampans open up a world lived in, on, and by the river as you cruise amongst water hyacinths, past boats loaded with rice, fruit and vegetables, and children playing in the river. Head ashore and cycle past rice ﬁelds and lush countryside for a closer look at local life, meeting friendly villagers who earn their living by farming, ﬁshing, making handicrafts, boat building, and rice processing
You may want to explore orther itineraries
Just two hours from the bustle of Ho Chi Minh City, the Mekong Delta beckons with its postcard-pretty farmscapes and quiet, slow-paced charm. The “Rice Bowl” of Vietnam is irrigated by thousands of kilometres of waterways, making cruising the perfect way to explore this picturesque region where farming and fishing rule the day. For those with limited time, a day trip to the Mekong Delta offers a tantalising glimpse into how much of Vietnam looks, outside the big cities.
Experience a different side of the Mekong Delta with an overnight cruise, allowing you to awaken with the sun as village life begins to stir. Travel low and slow aboard the stylishly comfortable Song Xanh sampan through this most peaceful of settings made up of emerald green rice paddies, colourful fishing boats, and life lived on the riverbanks much like in decades past.